Here are five of my favorite Magic Kingdom secrets that are fun to know when you visit Disney World. Follow my next three posts to learn all of my favorite secrets from Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot too.
Please share other secrets you know about the Magic Kingdom!
1) You are walking on a super structure – I was surprised to read that when you are walking around in the Magic Kingdom, you are not on the ground, but standing on top of a gigantic concrete and steel structure? In fact, you are on the second or third floor of this massive super structure! Walt Disney wanted off-duty workers, break rooms, utility rooms, garbage collection, and storage to be out-of-sight-out-mind to guests. He looked into building tunnels, but found that engineering logistics prevented tunnels so he had to build above grade. Walt decided to construct a huge 3-story steel and concrete structure, which houses the operations of the park on the first story. The second story extends over parts of Main Street, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. When you enter the park you walk up a slight ramp taking you to this second floor. In fact, when you’re standing in front of Cinderella’s castle, you are actually on the third floor of the structure!
Did you notice that to get on a boat in the Small World ride, you have to walk down a ramp to the water? The ride is on the first floor, while the entrance is on the second.
2) Cinderella’s castle princess suite – There is a super secret princess suite located within Cinderella’s castle. In order to have the one-in-a-million chance to sleep in this royal suite you’ll need to win a contest hosted by Disney, or be a VIP guest of some sort. Supposedly this opulent room was originally intended for Walt and his family. You can’t be book it or even go inside.
3) The spitting camel – The Magic Carpets of Aladdin ride has a camel statue that occasionally spits water on passer-bys! This camel is not a machine with good aim, there is an operator nearby that judges if someone is within the range of the water projectile.
4) Haunted fast facts – If the wait posted for the Haunted Mansion is 13 minutes, there is no wait. There are two starching rooms to accommodate more guests. In Disney World the ceiling raises, but in Disneyland the floor lowers.
5) High score – If you are able to score the highest possible score (999,999) on Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, it is said you’ll earn a Galactic Superhero button.
Next up, Animal Kingdom!